So you’ve made the decision to enhance your holiday experience with a real Christmas tree this year—congratulations! If you’re new to the real Christmas tree experience, or if you’re returning to a real tree after a hiatus, we’ve got some tips to help make the process easy and enjoyable.
- A little planning goes a long way. Measure the distance from floor to ceiling as well as floor space to ensure the tree you select will fit.
- If you’re buying a pre-cut tree, make sure it’s fresh by gently pulling on the end of a branch—a fresh tree should hold its needles during this simple test.
- Take advantage of the services offered. Have the tree shaken to remove any loose, inner needles, and baled for ease of transport home. Let the experts at the tree farm or lot help you load and properly secure the tree to your vehicle.
- If you’re not going to set your tree up right away when you get home, store it in a garage or other unheated space with the trunk placed in a bucket of water.
- For easy and secure set-up, keep the baling on the tree until your tree is standing upright. Then remove it and allow the branches to open.
- Once your tree is up, use lights that produce low heat, such as miniature or LED lights. Help keep the tree fresh by watering it daily.
Finally, inhale deeply every day and enjoy this time with your family. The holiday season goes by quickly; take advantage of every second of it!